Monday 22 January 2018

From MartinN: SCW - Tropas regulares de marruecos (55pts)

This entry definitely was a close run thing. Just as I type this, the varnish still sticky, I'm waiting for a colleague of mine to pick me up for work. I still have to pack my stuff for the week, so I better make this short.

Well, todays entry sees the first few Moroccan Regulars for my ongoing Spanish Civil War project.

The Moroccans were highly capable troops on the rebel side. They often fought alongside the Legion and gained a reputation as shock troops and excellent fighters in the open countryside. They also were notorious for their cruelty.



Miniatures are from Empress Miniatures once again and, as ever, were a joy to paint. It did me take a while to come up with a recipe for Near Eastern/ North African flesh. First I tried the "Near Eastern Flesh" triad by Wargames Foundry but results proofed to be unsatisfactory. Not only didn't I get the desired results, but the paints were rubbish as well. Too thick with too low pigmentation.

In the end I settled for some paints from Vallejo I already had at home.




Points wise this should add 55 points (2 prone figures at 2.5pts. each and 10 figures at 5pts. each) to my total. 

For the challenge tunes I got something different for you today. Just to prove I also got a soft and romantic side too.

This actually is also the song (in just this version) I proposed to my lovely missus. You see, I'm a true romantic at heart ;-)


Artist: Puma Hardchorus - originally by Savage Garden


Okay, I'm off!

______________________________________________

I'm so pleased these wonderful Moroccans have appeared before you've needed to jet off again to an airport, Nick!! They are really lovely figures and you've painted them beautifully. The Empress Miniatures are very fine, delicate, well-proportioned figures, but they ask for a fine brush to bring them to life.  And you've done just that.  Really fine work, Sir!!

I love the deep shad of red which you've brought out on the caps, and those familiar dusty off-white robes and shirts which you see throughout North Africa from Egypt to Morocco. They look very authentic, even down to the lovely green jacket on a couple of them. And you've perfectly caught the North African skin tone as well - it's a tough one to get right, but (again) you've hit it perfectly.

Super basing as well, picking out the rocky terrain in which these units could operate.

A hugely well-deserved 55 points here towards your total, Nick.  And, yes, please can we see some more?

And, with a final flourish you leave us with a great tune for a Monday morning (also one of my own wife's favourites, in fact!).  Safe travels, Nick, and we'll catch you soon!

20 comments:

  1. Stunning work! I think you celarly got the right pallette of colours for these guys and the detail is amazing indeed. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic work Nick! Superb tones on the clothing!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful. They almost make me want to start a SCW project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice painting Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stuff - this may make me sound a bit boring, but the highlighting on the brown (normally such a utilitarian colour) is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great stuff Martin. You've not only nailed the skin tones, but the green and red that you've used are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Nick, your palette continues to set the bar! Just love looking at these, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome style and colour choices! I wish I could paint that style (other than the faces which I never understood the lines, but get that its a style thing, I just don't like it) but have never figure out how. The hard contrasts and clean work is truly bonkers. You create some of my favorite entries here with that look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stunning Nick! Beautiful work, I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shades and highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous painting as always, really love it all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific painting job on great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb work my friend. I love how you did the tans and browns on these boys. I always like the look of that tank hunter team - hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an excellent bunch of cutthroats, Nick, beautifully painted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I see your work I think "I wish I could paint like that!" Nick. I can't think of a better compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing work Nick! It's always a joy to see the minis you've painted up. Definitely some of the best brushwork in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely blending on the Moroccan troops! Some nice vibrant color!

    ReplyDelete